Non-citizen children of Malaysians who wish to pursue their education in any level of education in Malaysia are required to apply for a Student Pass from the Department of Immigration of Malaysia.
Non-citizen children of Malayisans must apply for a Student Pass, be it a private or public school/education institution.
Required Documents #
- Support letter (Ministry of Education / Department of Skill Development)
- Office letter from schools / higher education institutions / language centre / training centre
- 2 sets of Form IMM. 14
- 2 sets of passport copies / travel documents
- 2 sets of coloured photos (3.5cm x 3.5cm)
- Personal Bond form (stamped)
- For students who wish to transfer to a university / college, they need a release letter from their previous university / college, attendance performance report, and support letter from the Ministry of Education.
The whole process for a Student Pass is fairly long hence please read this carefully and plan your schedule accordingly. If this is your first time undertaking this process, it is advisable to start 3 months ahead of the school term.
Before School Opens #
- Obtain medical insurance coverage for your child, as it is a prerequisite when applying for the Student Pass. Many insurance companies such as AIA, Allianz, AXA, Prudential do offer it. [You can enquire with your insurance agent since there is no preference by the Government on the insurance provider]
- During the application of insurance, you can go to the Jabatan Pendidikan / Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah (PPD) (can be found via Google) to get a Pink Form and checklist and get clarification on the latest date you can submit the Pink Form.
- Bring the documents listed on the checklist of the Pink Form to the school (you wish to enrol your child) allowing them to verify your documents.
- You may also consider making an appointment with the Immigration Office approximately 1 month ahead which allows you to have sufficient time to prepare your documents and submit the documents during the appointment.
After School Opens #
- Submit the documents listed down in the Pink Form to the Jabatan Pendidikan/ Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah after the school verifies it. (Note: Some mothers have noted that the application is only possible through the Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri and not Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah. An appointment has to be made online prior to the visit to the Jabatan Pendidikan. Please check with the Education Department prior to arrangements)
- Jabatan Pendidikan/ PPD will inform you of a date to return to the office and check on your application status. It will take approximately 2 weeks from your submission date. If the application is approved, you will be required to make the payment to the relevant branch of Jabatan Pendidikan.
- After the payment, you will receive a letter from Jabatan Pendidikan/ Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah requiring you to submit the Immigration set of documents. (Note: It’s a different set of documents submitted to the Jabatan Pendidikan/ Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah)
- Proceed to the Immigration Office for the scheduled appointment and submit your documents. The Student Pass may be granted on the same day.
- If application was rejected by the school due to maximum capacity, you may need to repeat step (b) again.
- Consider your choice of school. For instance, choosing “popular” schools may further dampen your chances of enrolment
- Remember to have the original documents with you on the submission day and make sure the documents are translated into English if they are in any other language
- It is to be done every year.
- The Jabatan Pendidikan/ Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah will give you a renewal form with the checklist of documents that need to be prepared.
Cost for a Student Pass #
- Student Pass – RM60 a year or lesser
- Visa – different rates are applied according to applicant’s nationality (less than RM50 per visa)