Disclaimer: Please note that this guide is prepared with the good intention to help Malaysian binational families with preparatory administrative tasks to get their suitable documentation to stay and live in Malaysia. The list may not be exhaustive and as such should not be taken as your sole advice source. We wish to stress that it is advisable to check with your local immigration/ Government offices and relevant embassies/ High Commission offices for any updates on documentation requirements and processes.
If you notice any change/ error here due to updates, please do reach out to the FSSG team via email@example.com. Thank you in advance!
Useful sources of information:
Terms & Conditions #
- The marriage must be legally binding under Malaysian Law
- All original documents need to be brought along for verification and only complete applications are accepted.
- The Malaysian Immigration Department reserves the right to request other evidence / documents if required.
- The application must be submitted by the applicant in the presence of a Malaysian citizen spouse .
- The applicant is entitled to an endorsement to work with the Long-Term Social Visit Pass or if has already been issued with such a pass as a foreign husband or wife to a Malaysian
- The respective employment or business or professional occupation must not contravene any law or regulation in Malaysia
- The permission to engage in paid employment or business or professional occupation must be endorsed on the applicant’s passport by the Director-General of Immigration, Malaysia or any authorised Immigration Officer
- The applicant must have fulfilled the requirements specified by the Director-General of Immigration of Malaysia for the Social Visit Pass (as a spouse of a Malaysian) and for the purpose of granting the applicant to be engaged in paid employment, business or a professional occupation
- A foreign spouse is allowed to work in Malaysia without changing their Social Visit Pass to the Employment Pass with the condition that the spouse has acquired work approval from the Immigration Department
- The approval is in the form of an endorsement on the passport / travel document
- The endorsement is given free of charge
- The endorsement entitles the spouse to work in any legal profession
- Application for the endorsement can be made at the Visa, Pass and Permit Division Office where your visa file is located
- The permit is effective any time after or during the submission of the Social Visit Pass
Documents required for an ‘Endorsement to Work’ #
- Copy of husband / wife’s Identity Card
- Copy of the Applicant’s latest Passport and pass
- Affidavit of Oath with photograph (stamped by the Commissioner of Oaths from the Government Court)
- Copy of Marriage Register / Marriage Certificate
- Job Offer Letter from the employer (using Company Letterhead )
- Employment Contract (stamped with LHDN RM 10 revenue) which explains:
- Working period
- Monthly income
- Signatures of both parties (employer and employee)
- Applicant, Citizen Spouse and Employer Information Form
- For the first endorsement, a picture of the workplace is required
- Company Registration Evidence (can be downloaded from SSM) Form 9, 24 & 49 [Note: these documents shall be provided by your company either in Photocopy or with the remark of True Copy which is authenticated by your company lawyer or by a Commissioner of Oath]
Renewal of ‘Endorsement to Work’ #
The Endorsement to Work shall lapse along with the LTSVP. So to ensure that you can continue to work, you need to renew the endorsement. You can do so while renewing your LTSVP.
Documents required for renewal of ‘Endorsement to Work’ #
- Stamped Employment Contract (RM10) [Remember to amend the date of your original employment contract to current date and send it to stamping]
- Workplace photo [Exterior and Interior]
- Company Form 9, 24, 49 if you are working for a different company [It is recommended to bring all the documents to the Immigration Office]
Endorsement to Work for Foreign Spouse #